In Tanzania, 1 in 5 childhood deaths, and 1 in 10 adult deaths, occur because there is no surgeon available. There are only 2 surgeons per one million people in a population of 56 million.
THE NEED IS GREAT!
– 75% of Tanzanians who develop cancer will die of it (compare 37% in Canada)
– Cancer numbers in Africa will double by 2030
– MOST PEOPLE will require some form of surgery in their lifetime
– 85% of CHILDREN will require surgery before they reach adulthood
– morbidity from lack of surgery is often lifelong
– one surgery is often cheaper than a lifetime of medications to control chronic diseases
– 88% of the population live on less than $1.00 per day